Thursday, September 10, 2020

The Falling Wreath

I have a blue wreath on my front door. It is made of blue stems of flowers (fake) but it looks pretty from a distance. We have a large window in the door so I use a suction cup hook to hang the wreath. Sometimes the suction cup lets go and the wreath falls to the porch floor. I think it has happened three times this summer due to changes in the heat usually.

The wreath suffers a little more damage every time it falls, losing a few flowers every time. The wreath still looks surprisingly good, though it has lost many flowers by now. Still, even from up close you won't notice the loss. It's still full and colorful and matches the rest of my decorations. But it is much less bright than it was when it was new.

We are kind of like that wreath. As life moves along we are hit by things that damage us a little bit and then we pick ourselves up again and move on as if nothing happened. No-one sees anything different about us, but we have changed a little. Then the next event happens and we are changed again. Life goes on but each time we suffer a life changing event we are affected in our hearts.

We all have been enduring this pandemic together yet six-feet apart. No more hugs when we need them. That's what I've missed the most. It makes us feel like we are emotionally separated also.  We are faithfully wearing our masks to protect others but we can't see the smiles behind the masks. It feels isolating.

C'OVID-19 has changed us all a little bit. We will go on each day as if nothing happened but we are not the same. 

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting," (Psalm 139:23-24 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment