Thursday, October 15, 2020

Jesus' Burden is Light

 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I an gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV).

Jesus says a lot about himself in this scripture. He offers us peace, love and healing if we walk with Him. He says He is gentle and humble in heart. Oh, how often Jesus has proven that. He has always stopped to heal those sick along the side of the road when they call to Him, filled with belief in Him. Jesus promises that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. When we walk with Jesus in our life our burdens become service for Him and the load becomes bearable.

This promise of walking with Jesus is one of my favorite scriptures. I think of it often as the peace I will find when I die but it really is applicable during life. I believe Jesus meant for us to find peace amidst the hustle and bustle of a busy life. Raising children, working, busily helping at the church, gardening, cooking, cleaning, and farming are all examples of what Jesus wanted to share the burden of with us.

My Life Application Study Bible suggests that people of Jesus' time were burdened by their sin. Once we accept Jesus as our Savior we can release the burden of sin from our yoke forever. People were also burdened by unfair demands by their religious leaders, oppression and persecution or weariness in their search for God, my Study Bible adds.

It's a new day. Why not try taking on the attitude Jesus offers, share His yoke and make our burden lighter today. Whatever burdens you today can be shared with Jesus and will become light. What a wonderful promise He gives.

Thank you, God, for sending Jesus to be our Savior. Let us share His yoke and make our burden light. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment