Thursday, October 29, 2020

The Refuge of the Lord

 What do you remember about your childhood? I have a few select memories of when I was young but I don't remember much else. 

One day I probably begged to go to Grandma's house when Dad was heading somewhere else so he dropped me by her house in the town of Albion, Iowa. These were the days when no one locked their doors. I went to the door and entered after knocking several times. I was 5 or 6 years old. Grandma wasn't home and Dad had already left.

I walked around the kitchen and dining room, looking at all her pretty things. She had a collection of pitchers, (which is why I now have a collection of pitchers that includes one of hers). I soon became bored so I found something to write on and wrote in my elementary way that I had been there and signed my name. 


I decided to walk home, a distance of a couple of miles. I knew the way so I proceeded, walking along the busy road toward home. 

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps," (Proverbs 16:9 NIV).

I got as far as the corner of the gravel road we lived on and a car stopped beside me. It was full of people I didn't know but they said they were headed to my house so I reluctantly got inside their car. I was tired and may have been crying. 

"He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge," (Proverbs 14:26 NIV).

The folks that picked me up were relatives from out of town so I was safe and secure. I know it was God's protection that was with me on my walk. 

Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment