Monday, January 18, 2021

Praying For Peace

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger," (Proverbs 15:1 NIV).

Our country is in a state of crisis. The actions of January 6 were heartbreaking to watch and because of that the country's Capitol and state capitol buildings are under careful watch. I understand the reason for protests but I do not understand the acts of violence and destruction of property. 

Christians have a responsibility to disagree kindly, to show respect for other opinions and peacefully protest what is wrong. Too often emotions grow heated in a conflict and voices grow angry and harsh. I hope it is time that we all can come together in unity for the goodness of our country.

This country has gone through many changes of power, always with different views and perspectives, but most without violence. I pray that this year can follow suit. We can be professional about our disagreements and still love each other as we should.

"And quarreling arose between Abram's herdsmen and the herdsmen of Lot. The Canaanites and Perizzites were also living in the land at that time. So Abram said to Lot, "Let's not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers,"" (Genesis 13:7-8 NIV).

Lord God, I pray for our leaders in government and for our country. I pray for peace, for healing especially, and for unity. I pray for wisdom for our leaders so they can work together to make this country stronger, I pray for Christians to be level-headed and thoughtful as we discuss our disagreements. May we remember to love one another always. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment