Thursday, February 24, 2022

Public Speaking

 One of my fears is speaking in public. Lots of people have the same fear, I believe. There is something about standing in front of people and looking at all those judging faces, that just makes my knees wobble and my hands shake. I don't remember much about high school speech class except for the wobbling and shaking, but college speech was a different story.

Speech class is required for most college students and I think that is a good thing. I decided to get it over while in my two years at community college. I thought the audience would be smaller. That didn't make it easier. 

I remember practicing in empty classrooms for hours before speech class. Trying to know my subject well enough to have good eye contact with the audience. I still struggled to feel calm and not wobble or shake. I don't remember what I spoke about but I did get an "A" in the class. I think we had to give seven speeches during the semester. 

I wish I would have remembered the following scripture. I might have been able to lose the wobble and shaking if only I had remembered this passage.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me," (Galatians 2:20 NIV). 

Next time, if there is a next time, I'll try to remember it is Christ in me that gives me strength and courage for the speech. If He is in me, I can certainly lose the wobble and shake. Thank you, Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment