Monday, February 21, 2022

Steps to a Long Life

Yesterday it was warm enough for a walk outside in Iowa in February. John and I like to walk around our neighborhood. There are good sidewalks and some walking paths that we take advantage of, mostly during the spring, summer, and fall. We aren't cold weather walkers. 

Yesterday I realized I watch my feet too much. I spend too much time watching for uneven concrete slabs that might make me stumble. Even though I hold on to John's arm most of the time, I guess I am afraid of falling or maybe overly cautious. By looking at my feet I miss all the other sights of the neighborhood.

Walking is great exercise and it is a way to enjoy good weather. Walking gets your heart rate up when you add a little speed. It also makes it possible to appreciate nature. You can observe the stages of the seasons and the beauty of the sky, especially during the times of sunrise and sunset. That's what I like most about walking.

God spoke to Solomon in a dream about walking. "And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life," (1 Kings 3:14 NIV).

The scripture verse is a good message for us, too. We should walk in God's ways and obey His commands as David did, and we will have a long life. 

If you are able to walk, I encourage you to use walking as exercise. It is easy and fun. But if you aren't able to walk, maybe you can just sit outside and soak in the elements of God's world when the weather is nice. We can all walk in God's ways, as David did, and it will give us a long life. Happy walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment