Thursday, August 4, 2022

Appreciating the Now

Have you ever noticed how important things are to you once they are gone. I've been reading a book about a couple who moved to an acreage to start a sustainable garden. It brought back memories of living on our acreage. I have grown homesick for our 18 acre "farm". I miss the sheep of course, though I have a houseful of sheep statures and pictures, I miss seeing and hearing the live sheep every day. I miss watching them graze through the pastures and come running, baaing, when shepherd John headed down to the shed at feeding time.

Most of all, I've realized how much I miss having a garden and country space. I miss the garden produce we used to have and freeze for the winter. I love the act of digging in the soil and watching things grow. I love the bursting forth of the first plants; the amazing life that comes from the seeds. It reminds me of God's touch on everything. Nature always brings me closer to God. Maybe that's what I miss the most.

Though I miss all those things from our former life, I realize also that I'm not the same person I was six years ago. My body is older and less able to handle the back breaking work the acreage involved. I used to spend hours weeding the garden and the flower beds, that's something my back wouldn't take so well. 

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven," (Ecclesiastes 3:1 NIV).

There are seasons of life that are meant for different things, so I must accept that this is a time for retirement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment