Monday, August 15, 2022

Saying Goodbye

It was a beautiful September Sunday. My dear friend and I and her mother drove to Minneapolis for a work convention. Her brother was picking up his mother for a visit. When we arrived and checked in at the desk there was a message waiting for me. Family emergency: call home. "Your mother is dying come home now!"

My mother had congestive heart failure and was on oxygen for some time before this. Two of my sisters had prepared dinner for mom and dad. I was told that Mama had gone to her bed for rest. Then suddenly she came out to the kitchen and announced she needed to go to the hospital.

I gathered my bag and headed to the airport in the hotel's van to get a rental car that John had arranged. I was scared as I didn't drive in big cities. Somehow I would get out of town. I got directions from the fellow at the car rental place. I left in a strange car, in a strange city, to drive the three hours back to Marshalltown. 

I got on the interstate and promptly missed my exit so I had to back track. Once I did that I calmed down a little and began to think about what was ahead. Would I make it in time? Was mother really dying? How could that be? I turned on a Christian radio station and each song seemed meant for me. I felt God's presence with me as I cried and calmed and cried my way to the hospital.

I arrived at the hospital and John came running to the car, then whisked me to the ICU where mama was lying surrounded by family. I got to say my goodbyes which I believe she heard. Then in a short time she passed away.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit," (Romans 15:13 NIV). 

No comments:

Post a Comment