Monday, December 12, 2022

The Symbols of Christmas


The symbols of Christmas are all over your house and even down the street. They fill stores and churches and line the Main Streets of towns. There are silver bells, Christmas trees, nativity scenes, tinsel, bows and ribbons, packages wrapped in colorful paper, stars, angels, shepherd boys, Merry Christmases, snow globes, Christmas towels and mugs, and so much more. 

Signs of Christmas are all around us. The music is what makes me happiest. I can turn on holiday tunes and it cheers me right up. The familiar Christmas carols bring back memories of past Christmases and the beautiful candlelit sanctuary on Christmas Eve.

Christmas is a season that is often very hard for those who have lost loved ones. The loss of their presence during holiday traditions makes them almost unbearable. Many people change things up a bit so they can avoid those difficult moments.

Living with depression all these years makes me experience many different emotions at Christmas time. Sometimes it is very difficult for me. I miss my parents and also my in-laws so much at this time of year.  The traditions they made in their homes are now gone and that is sad. It is also sad when our immediate family isn't all together for Christmas. So I try to remember what our Savior said,

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. 

Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

John 14:27 NIV


May you find peace during this Christmas season, no matter what you face this year. May God bless you with His constant love and peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment