Thursday, December 15, 2022

We Like Sheep

For more years than I can remember I have had sheep on my Christmas cards. For me, sheep are Christmas. Their role in that first Christmas was minor, still they were important enough to be mentioned by Luke. Sheep can be found throughout the Bible so it is not surprising that sheep are part of the Christmas story.

In case you didn't know, I love sheep. We have decorated our tree with sheep ornaments for many years, I guess since we had enough sheep to cover the tree. We collected sheep ornaments from all our vacations and trips. It is surprising how sheep turn up in the most unlikely places. We add a sheep nearly every year, whenever a new sheep ornament is found.

What makes sheep so relatable is that symbolically they represent us in the Bible. "You my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, are people, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign Lord," (Ezekiel 34:31 NIV). God proclaims it to be so.

Sheep are valuable to God. He cherishes them just as the shepherd values his flock. Every one is important. You are cherished and loved by God. The shepherd seeks the one lost sheep. Sheep are important. They are important to the Christmas story. 

When you see a sheep, may you always be reminded that you are God's and He is your God.


No comments:

Post a Comment