Thursday, December 8, 2022

Walking Toward Christmas

Have you ever tried walking on ice? When I was a kid I would go down to the creek in winter and slide around - standing for a while but inevitably end up falling down on the ice. Now that I'm older, there is a fear of falling on ice. This year especially with my newly repaired hand, I worry about falling on ice. Thankfully we have had a nice fall with no ice.


The other day I was intrigued by the geese walking on ice that's on the pond next door. The geese seemed to walk carefully but I didn't see one of them fall on the thin ice as they made their way across the pond.

Maybe we are like the geese now as we carefully approach the birth of Christ. We know the story well but we also know the end if the story. So how do we separate the two? It seems like we move toward the birth of Jesus by remembering how He came.

From a virgin girl, Jesus was conceived through the Holy Spirit for the purpose of saving mankind through His death. This is where our salvation begins - in a manger in a barn. Jesus came to poor, young parents because He was born to save us all - not just the rich and famous. He came to bring salvation to everyone. 

"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you," (Isaiah 41:13 NIV).

So as we draw near to Christmas let us walk carefully through the holy story, cautious of the ending but remembering how the story of Jesus began.


No comments:

Post a Comment