Thursday, July 6, 2023

Family Reunions

Summertime is great for gathering families together. After my parents were both gone, my family tried to hold a Springer gathering each year. When they were alive we all gathered at their home on the farm. That farm was sold so the problem was where to gather. For many years we gathered at a golf course clubhouse. Then one of my nieces and her husband welcomed us to their acreage. It is a beautiful setting and everyone loves to come there.

When I was growing up my mother's family, the Hilsabecks, gathered every summer, most often at my Uncle Ralph and Aunt Mabel's home. They had a wonderful large screened-in porch. I loved seeing my cousins. We would play in an awesome playhouse or in their big back yard. Once in a while sleepovers happened because of the reunion. Cousins became good friends and sometimes pen pals.

Today our reunions involve the four Springer daughters and their families. A potluck is the main focus but the real joy is being together again. Conversations fill the area and hugs abound. Good food is shared and lives are rejoined. All in a tribute to our parents.

"Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.  For the Lord is the great  God, the great King above all gods," (Psalm 95:2-3 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment