Thursday, July 13, 2023

Fried Green Tomatoes

I grew up eating some strange things. We lived on a farm so most of our sustenance came from what we raised. The basement shelves were lined with vegetables and assorted pickles. And our super-sized freezer was filled with green beans and corn plus a variety of homemade goodies. However, I didn't taste pizza until I was a teenager.

On the farm we used every part of the animals we butchered. We raised chickens, pigs, milk cows and sheep. I remember Daddy butchering a pig and Mama took care of the chickens. I don't remember anything larger than a pig. We did it at home because there was no butcher's fee to pay.

Our meals were all from scratch. We had macaroni in a number of dishes, but no spaghetti that I recall.  We ate liver, brains, gizzards and tongue when available. Quite the delicacies! We also ate okra and a range of normal vegetables. But one of our favorites was fried green tomatoes. This is the perfect time for making sandwiches of the fried green tomatoes. I still make them whenever we have a surplus of tomatoes.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything," (Genesis 9:3 NIV).

God told Noah that everything could be food so eat up everyone! May God bless your table with bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment