Thursday, July 27, 2023

The Land

I grew up on a farm in rural Marshall County Iowa. The farm was around 150 acres tillable and probably 40 acres of pasture ground (I’m just guessing here). My dad grew up on a farm, learning by working with his father and maternal grandfather. 

The farm was purchased in the 60’s, which meant I switched schools in March of my kindergarten year. It was worse for my sister who was in high school. When the weather warmed up I was excited about exploring the new farm with my dad. Ours was a true farm; it had a few of every farm animal.

 

The land was what I really loved. The soil was rich and black with a good share of rocks. Every spring dad and my sister and I would pick up rocks that popped up when the soil was turned. Most of the rocks were unloaded to an existing pile at the corner of the field. Pretty ones always found their way to a flowerbed or around the house. Sometimes we would find just the tip of a really large rock that would require lots of tractor or truck power to pull it out. Those gems became ornaments on the lawn.

 

As I grew older I was allowed to explore the whole farm on my own. I spent many hours walking the pastures and timber, and wading in the creek. I fell in love with nature and the land.

 

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires,” (2 Peter 1:3-4 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment