Monday, July 3, 2023

The Fourth of July

Tomorrow is Independence Day. The day we commemorate the Declaration of Independence being adopted by the Second Continental Congress on July 4, 1776. The day the United States of America was established. It is celebrated most often with fireworks but also with family gatherings, barbecues, picnics and baseball games. It is a day off for many but not all.

Sparklers were our usual excitement when I was a kid and also when we were raising our boys. We didn't usually go to where there were fireworks. There was too much to do on the farm.

One year when we lived on our acreage, the neighbor set off fireworks. Our dog Bella was frightened and ran away. Bella was an Anatolian mix, bred to guard sheep. That's all she did. She wasn't tame to people except when we had a treat for her. Then she would cautiously approach the treat, take it and run.

We searched the neighborhood for miles looking for her. After several days I posted on Facebook that our dog was missing and described her, big and white, loves sheep not people. And sure enough a friend of a friend had a white dog show up in their sheep flock a few days before, about 10 miles away. It was Bella. We had quite a time getting her into our sheep trailer, using a lamb as bait, and herding the neighbor's sheep into a smaller feeding pen. We did get her into the trailer and shut the door!

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; he makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anoints my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever," (Psalm 23 RSV).

May you have a safe and happy Fourth of July.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment