Monday, November 6, 2023

A New Day

It is a new Monday of a new month and the sunrise comes at a new hour for the second day. Thank you, Lord, for Your blessings of today.

The time change in the fall doesn't seem as difficult to adapt to as in the spring when we lose an hour of sleep. What affects me most is the darkness that creeps in an hour earlier in the evening. When I was still working, it meant that I left the building and drove home in the dark. I didn't like that. I was ready to go to bed as soon as I got home.

I have never really understood the benefit of Daylight Savings Time, even though I grew up on a farm. Now that Daylight Savings Time has ended I wonder what it would be like if we used it year round. There is a bill, the Sunshine Protection Act, that passed the US Senate unanimously in March of 2022 and went to the House of Representatives for consideration. The bill would make Daylight Savings Time permanent in all states except Hawaii and most of Arizona.

Daylight Savings Time or not, some days are just more difficult than others. We may feel sad or down and not really feel like rejoicing. But the Psalmist who penned Psalm 118 was honest with God and told Him how he felt. We should do the same. Whether we are feeling lonely or sad or worthless, we can give thanks to God and be glad in today.

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it," (Psalm 118:24 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment