Thursday, March 26, 2015

Cross Collection

I have a collection of crosses. This is the season of crosses. Our Resurrection celebrations would not happen without the cross. Jesus hung and died upon the cross taking with him all of our sins.

"God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross" (Colossians 2:13b-14 NIV).

I'm not sure when I started collecting crosses but I've always been intrigued by the cross, especially wooden ones. I remember when our youth group created three crosses of limbs of trees at Grammer Grove. We stood them up together on a hill and on Easter morning the three crosses were back lit beautifully by the sunrise. The youth put on a morning worship followed by breakfast in the park. It was cold but the scene was unforgettable. That is probably where my passion for crosses began.

I first fell in love with oak crosses crafted by the Amish in Amana, IA. I have several beautiful crosses in various sizes and finishes that came from Amana. I have crosses decorated with the crown of thorns, the name of Jesus, scripture, wheat, and praying hands. I have crosses made of cast iron, ceramic, metal, made of nails, and lined with colorful beads. I have crosses made of braided wheat, stained glass, yarn, stone, shells and even plastic. The wooden crosses are from simple and plain to ornately carved.

Each one is unique and speaks of God's love for us so beautifully. I also have a sign posted that says, "The cross made the difference for me". That sums it up completely. Without the cross we were lost and doomed to death. With the cross we are free of our sins and saved from death. What a blessing the cross is. Thank you, Jesus.

"And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:27 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment