Monday, March 23, 2015

Memories of Bethel Grove

Bethel Grove Church has been my home church for all of my life. That's a long time. Over that many years there have been many memories. Most are not historically important. They are just part of what makes the church so special to me. Sometimes it is important to step back and review the memories you hold so you realize how special a place or group of people is to you.

One of my earliest memories was when I was three and a flower girl in my big sister's wedding. I'm sure Marcella's memories are much different than mine. I was dressed up and spent most of my time sitting down and standing up and I'd guess I didn't do any of the flower girl stuff I was supposed to do.

Another early memory was of sitting in the old basement where the kids' Sunday School was located. My Aunt Ilo and Uncle Morris May were helping with the children as we investigated the new tables and chairs and toys that had arrived. There was a toy tractor to ride, with a wagon, and baby beds with new cloth dolls. I don't remember where we got them or who made them but it was a special time in the kids' playroom.

One of my most embarrassing memories was of a Christmas program when I sang a solo. Only once. It was awful. I sang the song about the animals in the stable - I've obviously blocked this memory from my brain because I can't remember the name of the song. I just remember my voice didn't do what it was supposed to do and I was humiliated.

Fortunately most of my memories are good. My church has been a blessing to me all these years and will continue to be so for as many years as I am blessed to attend.


"Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit" (Ephesians 2:19-22 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment