Monday, May 25, 2015

Remembering on Memorial Day

"I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy" ( 2 Timothy 1:3-4 NIV).

Memorial day is a day to remember and there is so much to remember. It's a day to remember and give thanks for the many servicemen and women who have protected our rights around the world so unselfishly. Those who put their lives on the line for our freedoms. Those who kept the battles out of our neighborhoods on soil that wasn't ours. Those who died or were injured so severely that they still carry the symbols of war on their bodies. Thank you for your bravery and sacrifice.

Memorial day is a day to remember our family members who have gone before us. A sad day to cherish their lives and long for the day we'll be reunited. My parents and brother are remembered first with such great love and longing. But each of us have our own memorials to honor today, broken-hearted and lonely. Family members are missed and the love for them continues to be strong no matter how long they have been gone. A token flower bush on the grave says so little of the love and loss we still feel.

Memorial day is a day to remember our forefathers who bravely moved out to the prairies of Iowa to establish a home and farms to feed their families. They also created churches and organized worship that has remained strong throughout the years. A church we still call home. The pioneers who made their way though vast wilderness and beauty and needed to worship God and thank Him for the blessings he entrusted on their lives.

I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment