Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Bird Nest

There is nothing better than preparing the grill for the first barbecue of the season! There is such anticipation for the juicy, sizzling meat. I'm the griller at our house. Usually because John doesn't have time. I love grilling also because there is less clean up. No dirty pans to wash. And the aroma is delightful while you wait for the meat to cook.

Our poor old grill is probably on its last leg. It sits out all year long and gets a beating from the weather. Last week I went out to check the grill and when I opened the lid a bird's attempt at a nest welcomed me. It was filled with straw and old flower stems and little sticks interspersed through the iron grates, and below, under the flame guard. I pulled out a 3-gallon pail of nesting materials. There was no neatly formed nest yet. I think the bird probably was frustrated with her location after she had chosen it. I don't know where she made her entry, perhaps at the lid handle.

But, I destroyed her hard work and made her seek a shelter somewhere else. I got the grill cleaned out and now we are leaving the lid open so she won't return. Maybe it is past nest building season, but there are no signs of another visit. I spoiled her perfect spot, all so we could eat burgers.

Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head" (Matthew 8:20 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment