Monday, June 22, 2015

Dreams and Reality

I've always dreamed of having a loft in my house. It would be a perfect place to write and I could overlook the world from a vantage point on high.

At the writers' workshop last week I had a dream come true. My cabin was an A-frame with a sleeping loft. The owners open their cabins to others when they aren't using them and the user is just to leave it as you find it, if not better.

It was a comfortable place, especially with the loft. But, between the first level and the loft were steps - deep, steep steps. I had my sleeping bag to get up to the beds and myself, of course. I could imagine myself falling down from the top step, lying in a heap at the bottom. But that didn't happen. I used both left and right railings and teetered myself to the top without hazard.

Awaiting above was the view I'd dreamed of. The massive windows opened to the large expanse of green outdoors overlooking a park-like area surrounded by trees. It was lush and beautiful. I arranged my sleeping bag under the ceiling fan and settled in for a lovely rest. Sometimes we really don't want what we dream of, if reality clicks in. I'm too old to climb stairs like those every day. Our one-level home is quite appropriate for this aging couple. We're still ambulatory at least on one level.

"For this is what the high and lofty One says--he who lives forever, whose name is holy: "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite"" (Isaiah 57:15 NIV).

I'm glad God has the high and lofty seat. He sees all and knows all. Sometimes our dreams don't take reality into consideration. Thankfully, God sees the big picture for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment