Thursday, June 4, 2015

Precious Eyesight

"The eye is the lamp of the body, If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness" ( Matthew 6:22-23 NIV).

There may be no other thing that we take more for granted than our eyesight. It is when it begins to fail us that we  realize just how precious that gift of sight truly is. I have inherited eye issues from both of my parents - glaucoma and cataracts run in my family line. That is a good thing these days because there are preventative measures that can be used to prevent many serious eye problems.

When I was a child I thought wearing glasses was special because I didn't need them. I was about forty before I needed my first pair of reading glasses. My sight seemed to spiral downward quickly after that, perhaps because my job required so much computer reading. Now I need glasses to read anything and have a correction on my distance sight as well.

God gave us eyes to see and teaches us how important our eyes are to our lives. They help reveal the darkness around us and allow us to see clearly with His light. One psalmist stresses the need for us to open our eyes to the teachings in the law because they help us stay on the straight and narrow pathway to God. Thank you God, for our eyes that reveal the truth around us.

"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law" (Psalm 119:18 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment