Thursday, March 16, 2017

Mending the Broken Places

We watched an indoor track meet Tuesday at the Iowa State University Lied Recreation Center. Our grandson Calvin is coming back after a winter of healing his broken foot. We thought he wouldn't run for another month or so but something changed his mind and he ran in a heat of the 1600 meter race. He tells us that without the spikes on his shoes his foot felt really good when he ran. He didn't run full speed; he finished midway with the pack and wasn't even breathing hard. I'm sure he has some endurance to rebuild and time will tell how his foot handles the repeated pounding of daily practice. We were proud that he finished the race and glad it was without pain.

Recovering from something broken is a long, painful process. Sometimes it is very difficult to heal. Sometimes the re-strengthening is the hardest part. If a part of the body is broken and immobilized the muscles weaken considerably during the time of no use. It takes work to bring the injured part back to full service. Though I have never broken a bone I have watched how others heal. However, I do know emotional brokenness very well.

Psalm 31 is a song written by someone (David or possibly Jeremiah) who was suffering brokenness. He is crying out to God because he trusts God to be there for him.

"I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul" (Psalm 31:7 NIV).

How comforting it is to know that God hears our cries and knows the torture of our souls! The psalmist goes on to share his stresses and concerns with God, spilling out all that he is feeling.

"Because of all my enemies, I am the utter contempt of my neighbors; I am a dread to my friends-- those who see me on the street flee from me. I am forgotten by them as though I were dead; I have become like broken pottery..." (Psalm 31:11-12 NIV).

But, he does not give up or crawl back into bed or close the shades and hide. He trusts God to see him through.

"But I trust in you, O Lord; I say, "You are my God." My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me. Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love" (Psalm 31:14-16 NIV).

If you have time, read through the complete Psalm 31. I could certainly relate to its cries and I found hope in his trust and praise for his God - and mine, too.

"Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord" (Psalm 31:24 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment