Monday, June 19, 2017

Postlude For Fathers

How was your Father's Day? Did you enjoy celebrating the fathers in your life? I know one family that had the ultimate celebration: the birth of a baby on Father's Day! Congratulations to one excited new Dad!

We didn't do much in the way of a celebration this year, though we did enjoy our neighbors' fireworks Saturday night with Brady's family. Yesterday we worshipped then spent the rest of the day at sheep shows in Ames. I've watched my husband through 43 years of fatherhood and now I also get to see my boys being fathers. It warms my heart to watch as they all love their children through the good and the not so good.

I have an empty place in my heart that still grieves for my Daddy. He has been gone 11 years and I still long to feel his warm farmer arms around me. I was so blessed to be fathered by such a kind and gentle man. I miss his voice, his laughter, his farm boots with red shoe strings, the fluffy hair on his arms, the softball shaped muscles in his arms, his always slicked back hair, and his tendency to be late and drive too fast on the gravel roads, especially over Mormon Ridge road on the way to church. (My stomach still does a flip-flop just thinking about it).

For many years my Daddy volunteered at the Iowa Veterans Home by leading a Thursday afternoon worship service. He and a volunteer pianist would lead the singing of favorite old hymns and Daddy would give a well-researched message based on scripture he had chosen for the day. I wish I had taken time to read his sermons. I don't know what happened to those notes now.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going" (John 14:1-4 NIV).

I am so thankful that I have a heavenly Father who remains with me in my grief and comforts me and guides me in my Daddy's absence. Every believer can share this heaven-to-earth relationship thanks to the sacrifice of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you, Jesus!




No comments:

Post a Comment