Thursday, November 9, 2017

Thankful for Friends

I am so thankful for friends. I have been blessed by many friends, some I have know since grade school, others I got to know as co-workers, some I met in college. Some friends I got to know because our kids went to school together, others from organizations I belonged to, and others became friends through church or Bible studies. Throughout my life, friends have been my supporters, encouragers, mentors, confidants, and prayer warriors.

"A friend loves at all times," (Proverbs 17:17a NIV).
Lavon, Gloria and Garla - Friends Forever 

My friends have shown love to me in so many ways. But those friends I share my faith with are the closest friends. There is a special bond that draws believers together and that is knowing Jesus. It occurs to me that I don't have many pictures with my friends. During this age of technology and selfies, I really need to make a point of taking a picture when I'm with friends. I'm going to make that a goal in the future.

The picture I'm sharing is so precious to me. Lavon and I drove to Illinois to visit our close friend Garla in September 2012. We lost our dear friend on Feb. 27, 2013. I met Garla in a Friendship Bible Coffee when our sons were in preschool together. We shared countless hours together in prayer,  sitting on hard bleachers during baseball, football and basketball games, in the car, in a volunteer group at our boys' elementary school, and especially in our neighborhood Bible studies.

When I was so depressed that I couldn't live my life any more, Garla prayed for me without ceasing and called me every day. Even when I couldn't speak and all I did was cry, she would encourage me with her love and her faith. When I was in the hospital for weeks, she sent cards and letters to me. She didn't reject me or shun me. She stood at my side and helped me re-enter the world.

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you," (John 15:13 NIV).

Lord, please watch over each of my friends today. I am so thankful for the friends you have placed in my life and I am thankful for the faith that we share and for the love of Jesus Christ that we have in common. Amen.





1 comment: