Thursday, May 24, 2018

Just Give Me Sleep

Many of my friends and acquaintances struggle with sleep. Right now, I am fortunate to be able to go to sleep and stay asleep quite nicely, though it hasn't always been that way and may not remain that way for long. There is nothing more frustrating than waking in the middle of the night, being tired, and not being able to sleep.

What is there about 3 a.m. that seems to awaken us? Maybe it is a different time that works against you. Is it something deep inside that is bothering us? Is it a physical ailment that flares up and jostles our body to awakeness? Is God trying to get our attention about some situation?

I don't have answers for why this happens or how to remedy this problem. If I did I would be worth millions. Sorry. But there is some hope found in the scriptures. David occasionally struggled with sleep, it appears. In Psalm 4, David suggests in eight verses what to do when lying awake. He may have been contemplating war tactics or facing a serious drought, some commentators say, but his words and wisdom seem to work well for lack of sleep as well: Pray.

"Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods? Know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself; the Lord will hear when I call to him. In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Offer right sacrifices and trust in the Lord. Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety," (Psalm 4:1-8 NIV).

When you are sleepless and frustrated after lying awake for hours, or better yet, just minutes, seek God through reading the Psalms and praying. It may not put you to sleep immediately, but may it bring you comfort and peace as you wait for His presence to lull you back to restful sleep.

Sing a lullaby to me, O Lord,
So I can close my eyes
And sleep again.


No comments:

Post a Comment