Thursday, May 10, 2018

Stand Tall, Weary One

Me, Mama and Marlene June 1968
When I was a preteen and teenager the most common thing I heard from my mother was, "stand up straight." In junior high (7th and 8th grade for those of the middle school era) I was too tall. I was 5'9" at my tallest and I towered over many girls in my classes and over all the boys. So I tried to slump down to hide my height. Thus, mother worked to correct that. I must have finally listened because for many years I think I had straight posture.

Now I think I know where Mama was coming from. She had the same back issues I have and more. As she aged her back pained her greatly and she struggled to 'straighten up'. I find myself in that same place now. With my scoliosis and other back issues I'm finding it harder and harder to stand straight. It is so much easier to relax and slump over in a chair. I must truly work to pull my shoulders back and attempt to straighten my spine. Sometimes it is painful to straighten up now, and even more painful to not sit up straight. Ah, the consequences of growing old.

"What is twisted cannot be straightened; what is lacking cannot be counted. I thought to myself, 'Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.' Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind," (Ecclesiastes 1:15-17 NIV).

Solomon wrote the book of Ecclesiastes, sharing some of his wisdom and wonder of the world. He spends some time revealing that even he could not grasp the wisdom of God. It was just chasing after the wind, never to be captured. About the time we thing we have life figured out, along comes old age, showing us we didn't have a clue!

"Who can straighten what he has made crooked? When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other," (Ecclesiastes 7:13-14a NIV).

Pull those shoulders back, oh youth.
Tomorrow comes too soon.
Rejoice in the moment God has given you.

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment