Monday, June 29, 2020

Achieving Contentment

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it," (1 Timothy 6:6-7 NIV).

This scripture is so holy and pure. It is hard to consider myself ever achieving godliness but Timothy tells us one way to draw closer to God is godliness with contentment. The American Heritage Dictionary defines godliness as divine or devout. Contentment means happy or satisfied. Timothy is talking about divine satisfaction leading to great gain. But how do we achieve divine satisfaction?

I remember as a newlywed, longing for what everyone else had. We were tight on money, sooo tight! It was a hard time trying to make ends meet at the end of the month. We had a nice home and enough food to eat but there were wants like a washer and dryer that we desired. John would take me to work then go to the laundromat and wash clothes. We had one car so when John was at work, I was at home.

One of our first big wants was to move to the country. My parents helped us by selling us a block of land to move our mobile home to. I don't know how we afforded all the work it took to make that happen, (we must have saved money somehow). We got to the country and began making our place a home. But, then it was a desire for a real house and a second car and bigger space for our children and on and on.

Through the years we jumped through hoops to get more and more. Finally, in retirement age, I'm satisfied. I can't think of a thing I need. There are still wants occasionally, but I no longer want the bigger house with lots of stuff. I'm at the point where I want to downsize and get rid of all the unnecessary stuff that clutters my house. I want a simple life. I've reached contentment, far too late it seems. But it is a blessing and indeed, great gain.

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well," (Matthew 6:33 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment