Thursday, June 4, 2020

What is in a Name?

When I was young I struggled with disliking my name. Gloria was such an old-fashioned name, I thought. Nobody else in school had my name. It wasn't like the popular names of Debbie, Diane, Linda, or like the pretty names of Holly, Cindy, or Josie. My name just sounded old or religious.

I went through years of disliking my name; of being embarrassed when the teacher would call my name and when I had to introduce myself. It was just a name, but it was a major thing associated with me and who I was. I've come to realize it is just a name.

However, in the Bible names are important. God gave some of His beloved special names. Abram became Abraham. "No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations," (Genesis 17:5 NIV). Jacob became Israel (Genesis 32:28 NIV). Pharaoh gave Joseph the name Zaphenath-Paneah (Genesis 41:45 NIV).

Names set you apart. They spark memories. They carry meaning. Issac means "he laughs". Diana means luminous or perfect. Deborah means bee. Linda means beautiful or pretty. Gloria means glory.

The greatest name of all is Jesus. Jesus means Messiah, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, Savior, Immanuel, Son of the Most High and many, many more. "He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end," (Luke 1:32-33 NIV).

God's name is the Most High. His name is to be hallowed and lifted up. He is "I Am"and is described in the Bible as Lord God, awesome, Father, Lord of All, all-knowing and all-Present, Creator, sovereign, Holy, powerful, merciful and forgiving, righteous, good and generous, beautiful and desirable.

"I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word," (Psalm 138:2 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment