Thursday, September 15, 2022

A Safeguard for Life

This summer I had the delightful experience of renewing my driver's license. The Iowa DOT DMV is notorious for long waits. This year I found out ahead that I needed to call for an appointment. Actually I had to schedule it online. Luckily I gave myself lots of time because the appointments were booked months ahead. I got my appointment time and was warned not to arrive more than 15 minutes early.

I arrived at the appropriate time and got my number that I would be called. The signs that call you list numbers in random order so you never know if they are getting close to your number. It seems all by chance. I took a seat along with a wide variety of people all waiting for testing or renewals. The day I was there their computers were down for the electronic tests and they had to do paper tests.

My appointment time came and went and I waited another hour for my number to come up. They warn you that if you are more than five minutes late your appointment is cancelled. However the reverse isn't the case. Finally my number showed up and they called my turn. The clerk I received apologized for my wait which surprised me.

The process went smoothly and I gave my best toothless smile for the picture which is always terrible for me. Then you pay for your driver's license and get a paper copy to take with you and wait for ten days or two weeks for the real driver's license to arrive in the mail.

"Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again and it is a safeguard for you," (Philippians 3:1 NIV). 

Thank you Lord for giving us the Bible to safeguard our lives and to keep our actions on the straight and narrow road. Even when our day goes strangely, You are there with us, keeping watch. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment