Thursday, March 9, 2023

The Quick Brown Fox

When I was in middle school (junior high) one of the required classes was typing on typewriters. It seems so ancient now that typewriters are nearly extinct. But it is one subject that I have used more than any other.

My class was taught by Mrs. Thompson. We were all new at this so the learning to type was up to each individual to master. We started by learning where the letters were at and then moved on to typing pangrams - sentences that used every letter of the alphabet. There was a lot of repetition, typing the same thing over and over, trying to improve every time. Accuracy and speed were encouraged.

I wasn't very fast nor accurate, as I remember. But I did learn to type with both hands. I'm very glad I did because I've used typing in every job I held. Soon after high school everything transitioned to key boards and computers. At least I knew how to type because there was enough to learn about using computers.

"Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him," (Proverbs 30:5 NIV).

We still own a typewriter. It is gathering dust in the basement storage area. Here are a few of the pangrams; perhaps one will sound familiar: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. The five boxing wizards jump quickly. Watch Jeopardy, Alex Trebeck's fun TV quiz game. 

Thanks, Mrs. Thompson!

No comments:

Post a Comment