Monday, May 20, 2024

Seeking Hope

May is Mental Health Awareness Month. I am more familiar with mental illness than I'd like to be. I have suffered with chronic depression for more than 40 years. Once I was diagnosed I went through months of evaluation, trials of medication, a suicide attempt, hospitalizations, and intensive psychotherapy. 

It has been challenging to get to the point I am at now. There have been many ups and downs through the years, including a month of ECT treatments. There were side effects to deal with and changes of doctors to endure. I am so thankful for my family standing by me through it all. John has been a saint!

The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) provides help and hope to millions of Americans including a helpline (1-800-950-6264) and a crisis text (988) that is available 24/7. The local division is at namiiowa.org (515-254-0417). This year's campaign is "Take the Moment" that "encourages individuals to prioritize and talk about their mental health without feeling guilty or ashamed."

The one thing that has helped me through all the difficulties is my faith in God. It is the only thing that has remained constant. I have prayed and prayed for help more times than I could count. One scripture that touches my heart and mind is:

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." (Psalm 40:1-3 NIV). 

Thank You, God, for being my Rock, steadfast and trustworthy and constant. I pray for others who struggle with mental illness and may not seek help, especially those who are homeless. May Your light shine upon them and bring healing. I pray in the holy name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment