Thursday, May 30, 2024

Expressing Our Faith

My parents were some of the most faithful believers I ever knew. I was so fortunate to be raised in a Christian home. Church was the top priority in our family's life. Nearly everything my parents did was connected to the church or their faith. Much of their belief was expressed through music.

All of my life, and many years before it, my parents were a musical team. Mom played the piano for Dad as he sang. For years they expressed their faith by singing and playing for others: specials at church, at weddings and funerals, and even with groups of others as quartets or for community events. Sometimes Dad and Mom sang a duet. Our family gatherings usually ended up around the piano at some point, singing together. Memories of those moments are cherished in my heart.

Not everyone has musical talents but our faith can be shared in other ways, too. I've often said that my sisters used up all the musical talent before I was born and there was none left for me. For many years I felt unworthy of being in our musical family. But eventually I realized that God has given us all different talents.

"We constantly pray for you, that our God may count you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith. We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ," (2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 NIV).

Heavenly Father, thank you for making us all individuals with an assortment of gifts and abilities. Lead us today in using those gifts to bring glory to Your Name and to bless others. We thank You in Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment