Thursday, February 2, 2017

Water Quenches A Thirsty Soul

I rarely go anywhere without a bottle of water. I have bottles of water in every door pocket of my car and I always have a glass of ice water or a cup of hot water with me in the house. One reason is that medication I take gives me a dry mouth. The other reason is to try to stay filled-up so I don't eat so much. Some diet plans encourage drinking lots of water and I have adopted that as a habit.

Have you ever been very thirsty but didn't have anything available to quench your thirst? We live in an age of instant gratification and easy accessibility so there aren't too many times that we really get hungry or thirsty. Maybe after we have been out mowing the yard on a hot day - we can experience real thirst. Or after a day of fasting for a medical procedure - we can experience thirst and hunger.

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters" (Isaiah 55:1a NIV).

Our typical reaction to thirst or hunger is to go to the source of drink or food...often it is the refrigerator. I should count how many times a day I go to the refrigerator and fill my glass with crushed ice then head to the sink where I fill it up with water. Or I fill my coffee cup with water from the faucet and pop it in the microwave for two minutes and voila I have a piping hot beverage to warm me up.

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?" (Psalm 42:1-2 NIV).

If only we went to scripture as often as we seek a beverage to drink. We can train ourselves to desire God, the same way we thirst for a drink. I think that same thirst for God may be within us but we don't always recognize that what we really need is God. I know many times I have turned to comfort foods when I really needed the loving comfort of my God instead.

"On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, 'If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him'" (John 7:37-38 NIV).

Jesus wants us to seek Him out in our times of need. He is available 24/7. He won't be too busy to hear our cries. His arms will always be welcoming and warm to wrap us up in His love. We don't have to look far. Jesus is within our reach, wherever we are. Jesus promises thirst-satisfying living water for our souls. Look no further. He is near.

"Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes" (Revelation 7:16-17 NIV).

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment