Thursday, October 5, 2017

Appreciation for Leaders

October is Pastor Appreciation Month, I believe. I don't know who established this or how it came to be, but it was a good idea that I almost forgot about. My home church always made a big deal of this, reminding the congregation and encouraging acts of kindness toward the pastor and family.

When Paul wrote his letter to the church at Thessalonica, he recognized the need for leaders of the church to be respected and appreciated for their work in bringing the Word of God to the people. We have recently been studying the history of the church Reformation so the role of early church leaders is fresh in my mind. We have seen how many church leaders sacrificed their lives to make the scriptures accessible to common man and ultimately to you and me.

I am aware of the true privilege it is to live in America where we can line our shelves with Bibles of every translation and read the Word whenever and wherever we desire. I am so thankful for the opportunity to worship my Savior and hear the Word of God from the pulpit. My heart is grateful for the many pastors who have taught me in the past and those who continue to enlighten me today. Without the truth of the scriptures in my life, I would be lost, confused, and without purpose.

"Now we ask you brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you. Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else," (1 Thessalonians 5:12-15 NIV).

Paul's closing comments in 1 Thessalonians remind us to revere our pastors and church leaders, but also to follow the teachings in scripture, modeling Jesus Christ in all our actions with others. We are to be encouragers, helpers, and kind representations of the church.

This month I plan to pray for my pastors and offer encouragement and appreciation to them for all the ways they bless me with the teachings of scripture.

Thank you, God, for the pastors who share Your truth and help the church grow in their relationship with You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment