Thursday, August 2, 2018

Thirsting For God

I've experienced a very dry mouth for several years now due to the combination of medications I'm on. I've forgotten what a normal mouth is like, creating its own juices, lubricating the tongue and teeth and throat.

I keep bottles of water in my car and I've stocked up on sugar free lozenges in my purse, my camera bag, even in the pocket of my Bible. I have a bottle of mouth rinse created to aid dry mouth and a spray that does the same. I carry a glass of water wherever I go in the house or on the deck. I guess I am like our lawns, waiting for a drenching rain to come revive it. (We did get a brief shower last night along with thunder and lightening - but it wasn't measurable).

My mouth gets so dry, especially overnight because I'm a mouth breather. I awaken with such a desert in my mouth that I can't talk or swallow until I get a drink. During the day, my mouth dries up and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth until I get some moisture in there. If I do much talking the moisture just evaporates and I'm left with a crisp parched mouth. It's just a problem I deal with. Hopefully, most people don't notice my issue. (I'm sure they will now!)

"God--you're my God! I can't get enough of you! I've worked up such hunger and thirst for God, traveling across dry and weary deserts. So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open, drinking in your strength and glory," (Psalm 63:1-2 MSG).

Oftentimes I have even a greater thirst for God, than in my mouth. I'm so desperate to feel God near me and know His presence with every fiber of my being, that I, too, call out to Him like the psalmist. Whether I'm searching for an answer to prayer, pleading for wisdom or guidance, or rejoicing in the beauty of God's Creation, I want God. I need God. Sometimes I must tell Him my deepest longing, or shout to Him thanksgiving for answered prayer.

I'm so grateful that I can always quench my thirst for God by turning to Him, anywhere, anytime, anyplace. I can open His Holy Word and be blessed by His thoughts and His wisdom. God is my cool, refreshing drink of water that always satisfies.

Thank You, Lord. Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment