Monday, September 10, 2018

Communication

Communication. I have a degree in it. I'm writing blog number 425 today. I am a professional at using words, expressing thoughts, feelings, emotions, concepts and lots of blah, blah, blah. (picture Snoopy on top of his dog house with a message cloud overhead). Blah. Blah. Blah!

I should be a good communicator. But I'm not, especially with my husband. I'm working on that, but I'm not changing fast enough. Married for almost 45 years and I'm still struggling with the same weaknesses. I process my thoughts too long before I say them. What should be a good thing, turns out to be a negative for me.

Somehow I grew up saying what I thought someone wanted to hear. Often enough that it became a habit I find very difficult to break. That doesn't mean I never say anything quickly or out of anger. I do that, too. I'm a problem. I try to make people laugh with a quick response and I end up hurting my loved ones. How ironic, I'm a communicator who can't communicate well.

"The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful," (Proverbs 12:22 NIV).

The Bible is full of good advice for communicators. Proverbs 12 in The Message offers many key words of advice:

"The words of the wicked kill; the speech of the upright saves,";

"Well-spoken words bring satisfaction;";

"Truthful witness by a good person clears the air, but liars lay down a smoke screen of deceit,";

"Rash language cuts and maims, but there is healing in the words of the wise,";

"Truth lasts; lies are here today, gone tomorrow,"

"God can't stomach liars; he loves the company of those who keep their word," (Proverbs 12, MSG).

 Lord, I'm convicted. Help me to speak truth in all that I say or type.

Note to self: Words hold great power; use with great care.

No comments:

Post a Comment