Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Comfort of God

God woke me up early this morning. Two minutes before the alarm was set to go off. I love how He is always with me, guiding me, surprising me, comforting me. He knew I had a blog to write and He is ready to help. Praise be to God!

I had a lot of 'stuff'' on my calendar this week and was feeling sort of anxious about it all, though I didn't realize it until now. In my old age I don't really like to have more than one thing on my agenda each day - meaning something I have to get out and do. Water aerobics doesn't count because there is no makeup or nice apparel needed.

I'll admit it. I'm a homebody. I'm happy any day I can stay in the house and do whatever it is I feel like doing. But, somehow my calendar gets filled in with appointments and commitments and before long I feel like I'm on the go all day long.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God," (2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV).

I appreciate these verses and the assurance of God's comfort. I think God comforts me in my little "too busy" anxiety as well as He comforts those who are hurting or worried or overwhelmed. But look at the verses again. He comforts us so we can comfort others in the same way. We are not to stop at the point we are comforted, but we are to go forth and comfort one another.

So how do I do that today? A smile is comforting to someone who is having a bad day. A hug to a friend can lift a broken heart. A phone call to the lonely brings a blessing. A letter to a distant friend can brighten the day. A quiet conversation consisting mostly of listening is a real comfort. And I know you can think of more ways to share the comfort God gives you. Who can you comfort today?

Comfort received sparks comfort given.


No comments:

Post a Comment