Thursday, September 20, 2018

Construction Ahead

I can almost guarantee that you have experienced road work or bridges under construction this summer. It is a fact of life in Iowa. There has been a lot of work in Ankeny, including the street in front of our development. Surprisingly, the three block road was blacktopped in one day flat. It is almost unheard of to have a job started and completed in one day. I was amazed.

While just a few more blocks away , the construction of new sewer lines and every other buried cable or pipe plus the road has been ongoing since early March. So has a new wider interstate 35 outside of Ankeny. That project is complicated with new bridges in two directions and new lanes through the countryside connecting all the way to Ames. I don't know if that project will ever be 'finished'. It is just one phase after another.

As I view all the construction ahead I'm in awe of the engineers who designed our road systems. How do they ever figure out where to build and how to get people from one spot to another safely, especially through crowded cities. It blows my mind. And makes me want to stay inside my house.

That is just a taste of what God's great plan for our lives is like. He has a Master Plan laid out for us; a perfect map to get us where we need to go. He even allows for our sinful detours and dead ends. And He has the Master Map for each one of us, integrated with our family members' and friends'. Talk about boggling my mind! Only God can handle that kind of road map.

 "By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ," (1 Corinthians 3:10-11 NIV).

What direction are you going today? Is there a 'Road Work Ahead' sign, a detour, an unexpected round-a-bout on your journey? Thankfully we never drive alone. God is always along for the ride, our constant Companion, our Co-Pilot, our Highway Engineer. If our foundation is Jesus Christ, there is always a thoroughfare leading us Home.



No comments:

Post a Comment