Thursday, April 2, 2020

When Morning Gilds the Skies

I awoke with a song this morning. The refrain is so appropriate for this Lenten season.

"When morning gilds the skies, My heart awaking cries: May Jesus Christ be praised! Alike at work or prayer To Jesus I repair: May Jesus Christ be praised! The night becomes as day When from the heart we say: May Jesus Christ be praised! The powers of darkness fear When this sweet chant they hear: May Jesus Christ be praised!" (When Morning Gilds the Skies by Katholisches Gesangbuch, Wlirzburg, 1828).

The beautiful spring weather we've been having lifts my spirits. Especially when we are out walking, observing the changing April scenery. The daffodils are blooming and my tulips are beginning to show buds. The grass is getting green and we even noticed some people mowed already. It is a blessing to take in the fresh air after being closed in for so long. Even the April showers will be welcome to wash away the winter's gloom.

I gave blood yesterday and drove through an area of Urbandale that was filled with geese on every lawn. I drove carefully and stopped several times for a goose in the road. Even as I practiced social distancing, it was good to see people out and about for a good cause.

It's hard not to talk about our isolation because it is so different from our normal. And it will be so long before we return to a normal again. The beauty of nature reminds me of God, our Creator, and that's why the song above came to mind. "May Jesus Christ be praised!"

"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you." (2 Thessalonians 3:16 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment