Thursday, April 16, 2020

Walking In The Light

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life," (John 8:12 NIV).

This verse touches my heart as I consider Jesus' promise to be at my side, directing me in the light. I need light every day. When it is gloomy outside I try to turn on the lights to chase away the darkness. My husband follows me around turning off the light switches to save energy! Even so, I crave light. Darkness is too much of a reminder of the days I struggle with depression.

I remember a very dark time in my life when a good friend came to visit me. I had all the curtains pulled in our living room and it was very dark inside. I don't remember if it was hot sun I was trying to keep out, but the living room was how I was feeling: dark, sad, alone and lost. Depression just sucks all the good out of reality and masks the day with pain. I'm sure my friend must have felt surrounded by evil as she sat in the room with me, trying to get through to the light.

Jesus' light can break through the darkness of night and of depression. I imagine His glowing face with arms open wide, welcoming me into His light. It is warm and pleasant there in His arms and I feel loved and joy. Jesus, I cling to You on the tough and dark days.

"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore," (Psalm 16:11 ESV).

May you feel the light of Jesus all around you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment