Thursday, June 17, 2021

Never Give Up

I'm familiar with failure. It has been my close personal attendant in life. In elementary school I was on my way to winning a race when I fell down. Anytime after that when I tried to run I was afraid to go fast because I was sure to fall down again and be embarrassed. In junior high school I recorded my speech entry for a contest but I was so nervous that I made several mistakes and after redoing in twice and still not getting it perfect, I gave up and told my teacher to send it in as it was. 

My biggest failure was trying to enroll in college. I went to the college when I was just out of high school but I lost my nerve and left without enrolling. Several years later I tried again and just couldn't go through with it. I was timid and afraid of failing.

Fear of failure is a cage that keeps me locked up, unable to move forward or try new things. It has been the thing that keeps me from submitting my writing to publishers. I've gotten rejection letters and I've given up trying. 

"For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me," (Psalm 40:12 NIV).

Finally, as I was nearing forty years old my desire for a college degree overcame my fear and I enrolled in college. I started by taking two classes at night, then loved it so much I quit my job and enrolled full-time. By taking summer classes and fast track courses I completed college in less than four years with an A grade point. It was a high point of my life.

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord," (Psalm 40:1-3 NIV). 

My message is as much for myself as for you: Never allow yourself to give up. Keep trying and trusting God, whatever it is you desire. God will come through for you if you trust in Him with your whole heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment