Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Joy of God's Consolation

"When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy," (Psalm 94:19 NIV).

Retired people don't have many anxieties, certainly not like working persons. That's why I wish I would have found this verse much sooner. I could have used this on some of my most stressful days at work. I loved my job but its whole nature was meeting deadlines. 

I spent nearly 12 years working at a community college in the marketing office. My main role was to write press releases about things at the college. Continuing education classes, student testimonials, board meeting reports, graduate lists, new college courses, features on teachers and students, and many more were the topics of my writing. I enjoyed feature stories the most because I got to know students and teachers.

There are things to be concerned about as a retired person. Making decisions about where to live, what to plant, how to decorate, where to go, what to do, what to have for dinner, what book to read next, which grandchild's event to attend, which doctor to visit, and when to mow again, are a few of the things that fill our minds. These are important decisions that can create anxiety of some degree.

No matter what we have on our minds, God can give us peace, especially when we pray for His guidance. Remember the verse above for those situations and find joy. 

May your day be anxiety-free and God's consolation be great in your life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment