Monday, October 30, 2023

God is a Mighty Fortress

Tomorrow is indeed a most important day in Protestant history. On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther posted his 95 complaints with the teachings and practices of the Roman Church. The Protestant Reformation began. I find it interesting that it was done on halloween.

Halloween is not my favorite holiday. In fact, the only decoration I put out this year was a jack o' lantern. It just doesn't feel right to me, to celebrate all things ghostly. It makes me uncomfortable. However, I will put out the candy for tonight's trick or treating and I enjoy the creative costumes of the season.

Martin Luther wrote the hymn, "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God". It is a classic hymn I remember from childhood to young adult age. One verse seems appropriate for the day of halloween.

Verse 3. "And though this world, with devils filled, Should threaten to undo us, We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us: The Prince of Darkness grim, We tremble not for him; His rage we can endure, For lo, his doom is sure; One little word shall fell him."

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging," (Psalm 46:1-3 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment