Thursday, October 26, 2023

Happy Anniversary, John

Fifty years ago today was a sunny cool day, a perfect October day for a wedding. It was a Friday and the wedding was in the evening. I spent much of the day packing and loading up the car with candles, ribbons,  napkins, mints, nuts and my dress, veil, shoes and John's ring.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails," (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a NIV). 

The wedding was a traditional service and included a solo, "One Hand, One Heart" by my father. I couldn't look at him while he was singing because I knew I would cry. Our pastor sang "The Lord's Prayer" with his bellowing voice, while standing about a foot from John and me.

The wedding was followed by a simple reception in the church basement with cake and punch and homemade mints. And as was the tradition in the 70's, the helpers unwrapped our gifts and put them on display, (something I'm still not happy about).

John and I made an escape in a friend's car because ours was hidden in a nearby town so no one could decorate the newly painted car. We got stopped by the town cop for "speeding" through town. Once he saw our clothes, he let us go and kept the followers from tracking us for a while. Rushing to get in John's car, I caught my veil in the door.

We changed clothes in our new mobile home then drove to Iowa City where we spent our first night in a motel. On Saturday morning we drove to St. Louis for a brief stay, visiting the Zoo and taking a ride up in the Arch. John had to be back at work on Tuesday.

Fifty years is a long time. We feel very blessed to have reached this milestone together. There have been some hard times but we are thankful that our family has been well and is flourishing with grandchildren to enjoy.

Thank you, John, for fifty years. I love you more each day. Happy Anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment