Thursday, October 12, 2023

Time to Harvest

Harvest season always excites me. I grew up on a farm. All around me were fields of crops: corn, beans or hay. I loved watching the crops grow, from individual plants to the mass of green, then to a field of gold. Whenever the harvest machinery came rolling up the lane, I was delighted. I'd move from window to window to watch the pickers begin to gather the harvest. Soon there was a cloud of dust that formed around the machine as it processed the rich, ripe crop.

Then as our boys grew, they developed a love for farming, too. Our living room was often lined by toy farm equipment as they processed the stages of farming on the shag carpet. Living in the country was a wonderful blessing. Growing up near their grandparents was an added bonus. As we drove through the countryside we would watch for combines in the fields and delight whenever we would see them.  

"Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."" (Matthew 9:37-38 NIV).

Lord God, may You watch over the harvest workers as they finish bringing in their crops; grant them safety in all that they do. Help me to be a worker in the harvest of souls. May something I do or say today touch another's life and bring them closer to You. Thank you for the bountiful harvests around me. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment