Thursday, January 25, 2024

God's Grace

"Grace, grace, God's grace, Grace that will pardon and cleanse within; Grace, grace, God's grace, Grace that is greater than all our sin." (Marvelous Grace of Our Loving Lord by Julia H. Johnston and Daniel B. Towner, 1911) That refrain came to mind as I pondered the topic of grace today. I love the word grace. It washes over me, that unmerited favor that God freely gives.

Receiving an unexpected gift can be a little uncomfortable. Sometimes I feel like I should have had a gift to reciprocate. But the response should simply be one of "Thank you!" It can be the same with receiving God's grace. I may want to reciprocate by working my way to salvation. But my response to God's grace should be one of gratitude and praise to my Holy Father.

Even so, my response to God's wonderful gift of grace is a desire to serve others. I want to do things that support or help others, bring cheer or blessings to others, or respond to others with help and kindness and love.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do," (Ephesians 2:8-10 NIV).

God has things for me to do in this life. I only hope that I can please Him with my service to Christ and the church.

"Amazing grace! how sweet the sound That saved a wretch like me!" (Amazing Grace! How Sweet the Sound by John Newton, 1779).

Lord, thank You for Your wonderful gift of grace. Help me reach out to others who are hurting or needy. Let me show them Your love and grace. I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment