Monday, January 22, 2024

Memory Verses

I have always had trouble memorizing. I remember being in grade school and having to memorize a poem. I don't remember the poem or even what it was about but I remember my mother helping me as we sat by the warmth of the radiator near the big front window. Our coal and wood burning furnace heated the water in radiators throughout the house. It was a favorite place to sit until it got too hot.

With Mother's help I eventually got through the poem correctly and spoke it in front of the class as assigned. I still am not good at memorizing. I try to repeat scripture but fail to keep the words in my mind. After all these 60+ years of studying scripture I find that I am familiar with many scriptures that remain in my heart. I can't name where they are located in the Bible but the words flow together in my heart.

I admire those who have memorized scriptures. It is just not something I do well. One of my prayers is that if I am ever in a situation of danger, the Word of God will come to me overflowing with the words I need to hear.

"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes, as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word," (Psalm 119:11-16 NIV).

Lord, thank you for giving us Your Word to teach us and guide us in Your ways. Save Your words in our hearts so we can live the life You have planned for us. Lead us daily with Your purpose, we pray. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment