Thursday, January 11, 2024

Snow Days

Snow days. I have always loved snow days. It used to be (a very long time ago) because of getting a day off of school unexpectedly. Then it was getting a day off of work. (I worked at a community college.) Now it is a chance to stay inside and watch the snow if I want to. Unfortunately, it is my husband who is stuck with the snow cleanup in our driveway and sidewalks.

When I was a kid riding the school bus on miles of gravel roads was an experience. The gravel roads were the last to get cleared so often I had to get to the nearest hard surface road to meet the bus. We had a long lane that always filled with snow between the fence lines. Dad would sometimes jerry-rig an alternate way for us to get from the house to the road. Once we took the horse through the pasture, avoiding the drifts in the lane. Another time we (somewhat humiliated) rode on a straw bale inside of a manure spreader all the way to the bus, an experience my sister and I will never forget.

"For to the snow He says, 'Fall on the earth,' And to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour," (Job 37:6 NIV). 

I know God controls all of nature and earth but I can't explain 'why' bad storms hit some locations and not others. I don't believe storms are punishment from God, but I don't know the reason or explanation.

Lord, God Almighty, thank You for the beauty of the snow You create. Please protect all those who must remove the snow from streets and walkways, and keep drivers and walkers safe out there. We praise You for Your power and wonder and glory. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment