Thursday, January 18, 2024

Grumbling

It is so cold. Grumble, grumble. It is going to snow again. Grumble, grumble. The roads and parking lots are an icy mess. Grumble, grumble. I'm hungry. Grumble, grumble. I'm thirsty. Grumble, grumble.

That's what the Israelites did when they were sent into the Desert of Shut. They grumbled about what they were going to drink and what they were going to eat. It is human nature to grumble about things that stress us out.

"So Moses and Aaron said to all the Israelites, "In the evening you will know that it was the Lord who brought you out of Egypt, and in the morning you will see the glory of the Lord, because he has heard your grumbling against him. Who are we, that you should grumble against us?" Moses also said, "You will know that it was the Lord when he gives you meat to eat in the evening and all the bread you want in the morning, because he has heard your grumbling against. him. Who are we? You are not grumbling against us, but against the Lord,"" (Exodus 16:6-8 NIV).

I am reminded by this scripture to pause before I begin grumbling again and to consider all I have to be grateful for. When I was growing up in church we sang the Doxology as part of our service. Instead of grumbling, let me sing:

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow; Praise Him, all creatures here below; Praise Him above, ye heavenly host; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen." (Thomas Ken, 1709; Gene van Psalter, 1551).

Lord, forgive my grumbling. Help me to be a light in the darkness instead of adding to the darkness of the world. Thank you for all You have blessed me with and help me to focus on those things throughout my day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment